Beyond The Shore
Following complex paths, apprentices begin their careers before they are fully developed. Although they possess abilities comparable to their fellow adventurers, the focus of their skills is less clear. Some swordplay mixed with some arcane abilities, or a little bit of skill and a little bit of divine healing. They have the potential to reach great heights, but for the time being they are lowly learners.
The apprentice class is unique among base classes. It allows character concepts dependent on multiclassing to be viable from 1st level. Rather than playing a character with one set of abilities at first level who gains an entirely new set of abilities at second level, a character can begin play with a combination of a lesser version of both sets of abilities. a character can only choose to be an apprentice at 1st level.
Role: An apprentice’s varied skills can be a great boon to a small party of young adventurers, as they can at least partially fill two roles at once. As the apprentice advances in her studies, she may favor one path over the other, but will always have the benefits of both.
Alignment: Any, though an apprentice must obey alignment restrictions of her areas of apprenticeship.
Hit Die: d6.
Starting Wealth: 3d6 x10 gp
Class Skills: The apprentice chooses eight skills as class skills. These skills are chosen from the class skills of her areas of apprenticeship (see below).
- Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+0||Areas of Apprenticeship, Split Training|
All of the following are class features of the apprentice.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An apprentice is proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and shields (except tower shields).
- Areas of Apprenticeship: An apprentice chooses two other base or core classes. These classes are considered her areas of apprenticeship. She is barred from taking levels in any base class or prestige class outside her areas of apprenticeship until she has at least two levels in each. She cannot have more than three levels of difference between her areas of apprenticeship.
Her apprentice class level stacks with levels in her areas of apprenticeship for the purpose of qualifying for feats and prestige classes, level-dependent class features, caster levels, spells known, and spells per day.
- Split Training: An apprentice is slower to master her abilities because she is training in two areas at once. She chooses two of the following types of training based on her areas of apprenticeship. Each type of training can only be selected once, even if both areas of apprenticeship qualify for the same type of training.
- Arcanist: The apprentice is training in unlocking the arcane arts, either from a tome or hidden within her bloodline. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains cantrips at 1st level, she gains cantrips as a character with one level in that class.
- Damage Absorber: The apprentice aims to be tough enough to take a hit and keep fighting. If one of her areas of apprenticeship has a hit die of d10 or better, she gains 4 bonus hit points.
- Defender: The apprentice intends to use armor to protect herself. If one of her areas of apprenticeship is proficient with medium or heavier armor, she gains medium armor proficiency.
- Divine Channel: The apprentice is training to be in touch with nature or a god. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains orisons at 1st level, she gains orisons as a character with one level in that class.
- Handler: The apprentice is joined during her study by an animal companion. If one of her areas of apprenticeship can gain a companion at 1st level (such as a druid’s animal companion, a summoner’s eidolon, or a witch’s familiar), she gains access to that companion as a character with one level in that class.
- Healer: The apprentice is learning to alleviate pain and heal wounds. If one of her areas of apprenticeship can cast cure light wounds as a 1st level spell (and would gain access to 1st level spells at 1st level), she gains cure light wounds 2/day as a spell-like ability.
- Martial Adept: The apprentice is learning the complex fighting styles of a true warrior. If one of her areas of apprenticeship has access to martial disciplines at 1st level, the apprentice learns a single 1st-level maneuver from any discipline of his choice.
- Occultist: The apprentice is training in the hidden powers of psychic magic. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains knacks at 1st level, she gains knacks as a character with one level in that class.
- Psionic Adept: The apprentice has awakened the powers of his mind. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains a pool of psionic power points at 1st level, the apprentice gains wild talent as a bonus feat.
- Skill Adept: The apprentice is beginning to know what she is doing more often than not. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains 6 or more skill ranks per level, she gains 4 bonus skill points.
- Warrior: The apprentice aims to swing true. If one of her areas of apprenticeship has a full base attack bonus progression, the apprentice starts with a BAB of +1 (as if her apprentice class had full BAB progression).
- Berserker: The apprentice trains to harness her anger. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains the ability to Rage at 1st level, she gains the ability to rage for 2 rounds per day. These rounds stack with those granted by her base class.
- Performer: The apprentice learns to harness the power of song. If one of her areas of apprenticeship grants the Bardic Performance ability at 1st level, she gains the ability to use Bardic Performance for 2 rounds per day and learns one of the following performance types: Countersong, Fascinate, or Distraction. These rounds stack with those granted by her base class.
- Pugilist: The apprentice trains in the art of hand-to-hand combat. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus feat at 1st level, she gains that feat as a bonus feat and her unarmed strikes deal 1d4 damage (1d3 if the apprentice is small).
- Animal Friendship: The apprentice learns to communicate with wild creatures. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains the Wild Empathy abiltiy at 1st level, she gains that ability.
- Explosives Training: The apprentice learns to concoct dangerous alchemical mixtures. If one of her areas of apprenticeship grants the Bombs ability at 1st level, she gains the ability to create one bomb per day. This stacks with uses of the bombs ability granted by her base class.
- Marksman: The apprentice trains in the use of firearms. If one of her areas of apprenticeship grants proficiency with all firearms at 1st level, she gains proficiency with a single type of firearm (either Pistols, Muskets, or Blunderbusses) and starts with a battered version of his chosen weapon (as the Gunsmith ability).
- Cursed: The apprentice bears a divine curse. If one of her areas of apprenticeship gains the Oracle’s Curse ability at 1st level, she starts with an oracle’s curse.