Thaduk: Orc, Brawler (Tavern Brawler), Reformed Bully
- Thaduk is an only child. Thaduk’s father was Thaduk, a blackamoor granted citizenship by Governor William and made captain of the village militia due to his skill at arms. Thaduk Sr. was known for dealing fairly with everyone, colonists, children, and natives alike, and highly respected in Moonplum despite his dark skin. His mother died soon after his birth, and tradition stated that he should have been traded to another tribe, Thaduk Sr. left Africa with his brothers (Thaduk Smith and Thaduk the Sot) rather than let that happen after his mates death.
- Skill: Climb or Swim 1 rank
- Thaduk Jr., however, was an unbelievably tough kid, known for bullying all the other kids in Moonplum. His strength was such that even his own father could not keep him under control.
- The only place where Thaduk’s monstrous strength could be put to constructive use was at the forge, so he was apprenticed to Roger Crumwell, the village smith, at a surprisingly young age.
- Thaduk, both from his bullying and his dark skin, was summarily ignored by the girls of the village, which added to his bullying tendencies. When the other children were having romantic trysts, all Thaduk had was his revenge.
- Skill: Intimidate 2 ranks
- While Thaduk was regularly dragged to the village green to train with the militia by his father, he was quite unwilling to drill properly, arguing with his father that “his fists were the only thing he needed”.
- Bonus Feat: Power Attack
- As Thaduk got older, he took to drinking. His laziness and drunken-clumsiness during militia drills were such that once, when practicing for a shield wall, he stabbed one of the other trainees with a spear. His friend Monkey was the only one in the village willing to put up with Thaduk’s drunken antics, and went out of his way to teach Thaduk how to properly handle his weapon.
- Nine months ago, Thaduk Sr. died of a fever. Distraught, Thaduk swore to give up his bullying ways (if not his drinking), and took to sitting the night watch for Moonplum. The new captain of the guard, Henrye Allingham, entrusted Thaduk with the militia’s Bugle in memory of his father’s service.
- Bonus Item: a Bugle
“Monkey” (Murnch): Monkey-Goblin, Rogue (Dimensional Jaunter), Elven Ranger
- Monkey is a remnant of one of the hidden communities of sentient Alouatta, from the forests of South America. He arrived in Moonplum roughly a decade ago, stowing away on an Imperial merchant ship that stopped to resupply in Argentina before completing the trek to the South Pacific. When the ship landed in Moonplum, he took a liking to the village and stayed when the ship left. Most of the other villagers (aside from the militia) treat him as something of a mascot or favorite pet, despite his ability to speak.
- Monkey claims that, before Pizarro and the Spanish conquered South America, his people lived in great cities in the Peruvian Amazon, the likes of which the earth will never see again.
- After the Spanish conquest, Monkey and his people continued to live on the fringes, hiding from Spanish patrols and their dreaded Mastiffs. When Monkey’s family was finally captured and killed by the Spanish, he decided to flee on the next available non-Spanish ship.
- When he first arrived in Moonplum, Monkey found it difficult to live with the humans. However, Thaduk Sr. and Henrye Allingham recognized and respected the usefulness of the skills he had developed fighting the Spanish in the Americas and asked Monkey to aid their militia in the protection of their lands.
- Skill: Survival 1 rank,
- Since settling in Moonplum, Monkey found peace resting in the grove of native trees by the spring which served as the village’s main source of fresh water. There he made a friend (some speculate lover) in the form of Paddy Marl, the fickle and unpredictable palm dryad who tended the spring.
- Skill: Stealth 1 rank.
- The Alouatta people were known for their strange, yet captivating songs. Monkey’s songs, in particular, have the power to calm the beasts that called Nova Britannia home and all them to his aid.
- Skill: Perform (singing) 1 rank.
- Spell-like Ability: Summon Nature’s Ally I 1/day
- Soon after joining Moonplum’s militia, a foul beast, twisted by dark magic came out of the forests and threatened the village. Monkey slew it with the aid of ?, the headstrong daughter of one of the village’s wealthiest farmers. ? struck the final blow and the two became fast friends, much to the dismay of Thadok Jr. and Paddy Marl (who believe the two to be more than just friends).
- Skill: Survival 1 rank.
- Spell-like Ability: Entangle 1/day
- When Monkey left home, he brought with him a small pup, one of the large, dog-like rodents that his people kept as pets and mounts. The pup is now full grown and Monkey’s dearest companion.
Adriana Duergar, Blood Rager, Nobleman’s Wild Daughter
- Adriana’s is at once the wealthiest, most powerful, and most tragic family. Her father is Lord Wyndham Henry Armstrong Fitzpatrick Harlowe, Earl of Lovelace, owner of Moonplum Plantation (which includes most of the village’s orchards), and highly respected for his writings and observations on the science of botany. Her mother, the Lady Lorraine de Parma Harlowe, and her two-year-old brother, Charles Sebastian, are both drowned, the former having died giving birth to the latter, and the latter dying only a few years thereafter. Left as her father’s de-facto heir at a young age, Adriana was never quiet and demure, as most of the men of Moonplum would have wished her to be, much to the dismay of her mother who still runs the Harlowe household with her empty, yet ever-watchful, gaze.
- Skill: Knowledge (nature) 1 rank
- Even as a youngster, Adriana spent much of her free time in unladylike pursuits. She could often be found hanging out with the village fishermen (especially Jefro Samson, Joshua Duncaster, and Henrye Allingham), watching them in their work and swapping stories. The amount of time she spends with these fellows is such that it should have caused a scandal in the village, were she sufficiently attractive or likable for any of the men’s wives to consider her a threat. Luckily she is none of that.
- With his wife and only male heir dead, Lord Harlowe has instead been grooming Adriana to take his place as Countess of Lovelace. Unable to reign-in her boyish ways, he instead took it upon himself to train her in politics and swordcraft so that she might hold her own among her male peers.
- Skill: Diplomacy 1 rank
- Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus (Greatsword)
- Five years ago, pirates under the leadership of the infamous Captain Bartholomew Sharp landed near Moonplum. Adriana was the first to see the buccaneers and raise the alarm, mustering the village militia. When the people of the town were hard-pressed fending off the pirates, she challenged Captain Bartholomew to single combat. She was beaten handily by the captain, but he was sufficiently impressed by her courage that he ordered his men to withdraw and even, with some urging from Thaduk Jr. (the son of the militia captain) agreed to show Adriana and Thaduk a few tricks before he sailed away. After these events, Adriana was given special dispensation to serve in the Moonplum militia—the only female so privileged (and likely the only one that would want to).
- Skill: Heal 1 rank
- Bonus Feat: Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)
- When helping her father dig the foundations for their new home in the village of Moonplum, Adriana found the skeletal body of an old pirate (or so she judged from his torn and tattered sailor’s garb and half-petrified wooden stump of a leg) buried in the sand—some poor sod who could not make it to water before he died, she reckoned. Beside the old skeleton she found a remarkable weapon, like none she’d ever seen. She spent hours in the smithy staring at the strange device with Roger Crumwell, Thadok Jr., and Henrye Allingham before they were finally able to figure out its function and restore it.
- Bonus Item: A Pepperbox Cutlass
Caddis Duncaster Changeling, Mesmerist, Fae Foundling
- Born of the union between the Sea Hag Abere and a Gillman, Caddis was found by Joshua Duncaster as a baby, washed up on the shore of Stetin Bay, swaddled in sea-weed alongside a strange stone rose. Joshua was kind, taking the stray baby in and raising Caddis as his own. Of course, it didn’t hurt that Caddis’ semi-aquatic nature made him a significant help in Joshua’s fishing.
- Bonus Item: A Stone Rose
- While Caddis’s appearance was a little strange, it was nothing compared to the likes of Thaduk, Monkey, or Adriana, and he was readily accepted by the other village children. Usually with his mute, adoptive sister Jessica (who was born only a few months after Caddis was found) in tow. If anything made the children of the village dislike him, it was his tendency to win at every game they played, rather than his mysterious birth.
- Three years ago, a new wave of settlers arrived in Moonplum Colony. Among them was the lovely Margaret Bradshaw. Only a few years his senior, Caddis fell madly in love with Margaret, but was spurned in favor of an older suitor — Henrye Allingham, a source of continuing resentment between the boy and the militia captain.
- Caddis came into his fae powers as an adult. The mere sight of his intense jade-green eyes could bend the will of mortal men, frighten them, or even inflict unbearable pain. When he came of age, his power drew the attention of Titikolo, an ally of his hag mother and Erl-king of the native spirits of Nova Britannia. Caddis was invited by Paddy Marl to attend the court of Titikolo. Caddis took Monkey with him and the two were presented before the Erl-king, who garbed himself in a filthy skin of rotting sores.